Monday, March 12, 2012

And so it begins.

To those that know me well, I have talked about starting a blog for awhile. I am always inspired when I read good blogs, where people are able to express their thoughts in a humorous way and you can learn a little something along the way.

One of my 2012 New Year's resolutions was to start a blog. And yes, it is March. (Per my usual fashion, I am arriving fashionably late even in resolution time). Then the great debate started on what I would name my blog. I wanted to catch the attention of my future 10's of readers, so not just anything would do. Along with the blog title came the conversation about what I would write about. Chelsea Handler and Aaron Karo have a run on the "life is funny and I'm going to make fun of it and have tons of people follow me" reign, so that was out. I am not a parent so I can't write a parent's advice blog. And goodness knows, I can't advise myself out of a paper bag so a self-help blog is also out.

So setting the title aside for a little while, I needed to really decide what I wanted to write about. As the days following NYE turned into a month, and then another month, I still wasn't inspired by a title or a general topic. But as 2012 marches on, and I reflect what life events have occurred in 2012 - I'm inspired to write about the life of a 20 something who is on a mission to figure it all out and have some (mis)adventures along the way.

So... the potential list of topics are basically thoughts in my head regarding what I do on a regular basis: a single dude enjoying his (late) 20s, who is passionate about fraternities and sororities, is trying to become a morning work out person and marathon runner, figure out work/life balance... figuring out all of this while laughing and having a good time all the way. Potential topics may include life lessons by Neil, the fraternal movement, student affairs, running and general health and the joys of being a single guy in RVA. All with my own special spin of course. My goal will be to be funny, sometimes deep, and maybe even having readers walk away with "well that was interesting."

Near the end of December, I had a whole list of New Year's Resolutions. As luck would have it, I lost that list. But who needs the dawn of a new year to resolve something. Each day is a new day - it's my goal to make it count.

Where did the name come from? My friend Britnie and I were imbibing in an adult beverage at a more random bar in RVA one recent evening.

The bar atmosphere provided an excellent place to pontificate life and try to answer all of our unknown questions. I happened to mention that I had a new favorite song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv6dMFF_yts&ob=av3e. Minutes later, the song came on in the bar. As Britnie and I were singing along, the part of "we are young, so I set the world on fire, we can go brighter than the sun" resonated. That's when I decided the name of my blog.

I'm here to set the world on fire. And names have not been changed to protect the guilty.



3 comments:

  1. I'm glad I could introduce you two, I feel like I made a great friend match! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, here it goes! Can't wait to read more, Neil E!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to read and inspired by you! Can't believe Claire's photo with you made the debut blog post!!! Love you.

    ReplyDelete